May 25, 2010

Continuation of yesterday's post

Alright, here's the deal:

We are surrendering Maddie to a rescue for the week, and perhaps longer. This is obviously a very difficult decision for us, and we have come to this as a last resort. I hope that a week away will be good for all of us and we can get her back and happy again, but we just don't know right now.

She is leaving tonight and the husband will go to check up on her Thursday evening. I don't want to say goodbye, but I do know that we will at least see her next week before we make a final decision about whether or not we need to re-home her. Ultimately, we need to ensure that Maddie is happy...we've finally come to the point where we know she's not adjusting to having a baby around and is acting out because of it. We have tried everything we know to balance her needs with that of ours and Ellie's but it's not working and no one's happy with the current situation.

So we will know more next week about how to proceed. I just ask that those of you who read faithfully, as my friends, be as supportive as you can. If you pray, please say a prayer for us and for Maddie that we can make her as happy as possible. If that means she needs a different home where she can be the sole focus, then I have to make peace with that. But it's tough...she's been with us since she was nine weeks old. She was my first 'baby'. I just want to be the best momma I can to her, and still be a good momma to Ellie too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Tiffiny! I am so, so sorry. I know how much you love Maddie and it's so important that EVERY member of the family is happy -- canine or human! It sounds like you and Nick have already settled on a plan of attack, but if you'd like any other ideas/advice let me know. I've obviously dealt with a lot of dogs over the last five years and while none of them have had to compete with a baby full time, I did have to work one of them through being afraid of children. I know Maddie isn't a guide dog but perhaps you'll come up with a new idea??? Let me know if you want to talk... email me!

Jenny said...

Sounds so hard! I can't believe how attached I am to my dog and it's only been 8 weeks! Thinking of you and hope it turns out best for everyone!!