May 10, 2010

Monday Musings, Post-Mothers Day Edition

So yesterday was my first real Mother's Day (I got some celebratoriness last year, but I was like, 2 months pregnant, so it didn't really count). It was a nice day, and my grandparents (Mom's folks) and uncle/aunt/cousins (Mom's bro and wife and boys) came to our house to see Ellie and hang out. All in all, a pretty chill day...and the husband said my gift is a spa day at Dosha in Portland to get pampered on a day of my choosing. Not bad, eh?

But more importantly, Ellie turned five months old yesterday. FIVE months??? Wait...we're almost halfway through her first year of life? How did that happen? Just typing it out makes me all giddy and stuff. She's just growing up so fast - she's doubled her birthweight (now at a whopping 13lb 4ish oz) and is sitting up with minimal support. Attempts at crawling have commenced, and usually take place at 4:30am in her crib, which wakes up the parental units of the house, but honestly...it's not bad. She's happy and cooing and squealing when she does it, and as long as we let her play for a bit, then go get her from her crib and bring her into bed with us for an hour or so long 'nap', it's all good. Ellie is really a remarkable little girl...I marvel at her everyday. She's bright and funny and sweet and charming and loving - of course, she's also stubborn and demanding and (too) independent at times, but I even love those more challenging attributes of her personality. She's gonna be no one's doormat, I tell you that much.

Anyway, I have learned so much about myself since becoming a mom, and it's strange to think that I'm not the same person I was before Ellie was born. I think I'm a better person. I love more easily, I protect more fiercely, and I laugh more heartily now. Motherhood really is a transformative thing and I'm blessed to have my husband and daughter along for the ride.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That post brought tears to my eyes and makes me want to say...."I love you Tiffiny!!!"

KYPiPhiGirl said...

Tiffiny, You are so true about how Motherhood transforms you. It just gets better and better as they get older.