December 12, 2009

New Normal

I used to hate that phrase: "new normal." It's so overused that it hardly means anything anymore. Unless, of course, you are a new parent. Then new normal means A LOT. Like not taking shower time for granted. Or learning to function on a solid 3 hours of sleep. Or obsessing about the contents of your kid's stomach based on the contents of her diaper. Or measuring a day not by hours or minutes, but by how many times the baby has eaten and for how long at a stretch.

But New Normal is good...at least mine is. The husband and I are adjusting pretty well to life with our new little Elliot Delaney (you can call her Ellie, we do). It helps that my stepmom is here to help us out - that extra pair of hands and mom experience definitely comes in handy - until Tuesday. So far, we have been very lucky with our little lady...she is a good eater, good sleeper, and pretty much the most beautiful baby that ever graced this Earth. (Not that I am biased at all, of course.)

My body is NOT yet normal, but it's getting there. I still look about 4-5 months pregnant and I'm healing from some um, tearing that is a little less than comfortable. But give it a few weeks, I'm told, and my new normal body won't freak me out nearly as much. I must say that after gaining 37 lbs (yes, I'm admitting my total weight gain for posterity's sake), I'm not TOO freaked out by my flabby midsection and not-so-rapidly shrinking ass. Nine months on, nine months off is my new motto.

And since this has been a wordy post, I'll wrap it up for now (also, my new mom brain is mush at best) and leave you with a photo of the World's Most Perfect And Amazing and Beautiful Newborn Baby Girl:

2 comments:

Anne said...

She is wonderful!!! I hope you get to feeling a little more, um, comfortable soon. It's all about the Tucks and nice soft chairs for nursing :) Have some caffeine for us and we'll do the same over here. Congrats to all!

carmeezie said...

Good job. Angie liked the name Delaney. Thank god that won't become an issue.