December 30, 2009

The Lactation Diaries, Part III

Well, the little lady weighed in at a whopping 6lbs, 3oz at her two-week checkup yesterday! (Really, it was more like three weeks, because her doc was out for the holiday last week.) She's gained 10 oz in just a week - and we have a follow up visit scheduled for next Friday to see how much more she'll weigh then.

I think she's going through a growth spurt, because she is showing a lot more interest in eating - not at nighttime, which is hard, but we're still feeding even when she's sleepy - and her newborn clothes are finally starting to fit her wee body better.

I still don't feel like my milk supply is where it should be, which is also a little troubling, but I'm trying to stay positive and keep nursing and eating well and resting and drinking lots of water - I guess if it never gets to where she can exclusively be on the boobmilk, then we'll keep supplementing with formula. Whatever it takes to get my baby bigger and chubbed up, I'll do it.

1 comment:

Anne said...

The nursing dilemma is hard - our ped out here says fed babies are better than nursed exclusively babies if it comes to it. We supplemented both girls and I made it to 5 months with Gwen and went to all formula. Ari made it a month and a half. I envy your patience - I get frustrated!