June 29, 2009

In Lieu of Musings: An open letter to the Postal Service

Dear USPS Effbags,

Getting a mail key for my new house should not be the equivalent of trying to smuggle refugees out of North Korea. Please be advised that most people only buy a new house once in their lives, and therefore, are not aware of the flaming hoops of dog shit you require us to jump through just to get a key for our mailbox.
It would also be helpful for everyone involved if your branches would answer their ringing phone every so often. It would avoid a lot of wasted time, gas, and patience on the part of your customers to merely pick up said ringing phone, answer a few basic questions about the mail key acquirementage, and then hang up. Also, charging me $40 for three mail keys is borderline highway robbery. I can only hope that you will use the proceeds from this outlandish charge to better train your people on how to answer phones and treat people like PEOPLE.
Furthermore, making me fill out a form IN PERSON AT YOUR OUT OF THE WAY DISTRIBUTION CENTER and then telling me that I can only pay for those keys with a check or cash is ridiculous. It's 2009, therefore, it's time to install credit card machines in your buildings.

Sincerely (but not really),
Disgruntled Postal Customer #45,600,501

2 comments:

Anne said...

I feel your pain from my Bozeman days. I suppose I wouldn't get much sympathy now though, considering that Jordan is small enough that our postmaster even calls us at home when a package or letter comes in that we are waiting for and we don't even live in town.

BTW - congrats again on the incoming baby!!! Ultrasound on the 24th of July right? Ours will be the 6th...then we'll know what type of sib that Gwen will be able to terrorize when she is all of 14mos! ;)

Tiffiny said...

Turns out that the lady I spoke with (whose English was um, not...good) was totally wrong! I didn't owe them any money for the keys AND the mail carrier brought them right to my door yesterday. So it all worked out but still...what a hassle.

And thanks...congrats again on your new little one-to-be. Do you have a feeling for what you're having this time around? I'm convinced I'm having a boy, but nearly everyone else I know says it's a girl. We'll know soon enough... :)