Okay, so at my company (hereafter called "Initrode"), we have a pretty sweet incentive program to encourage us employees to be more proactive about our health. I think of the program as a win-win-win: Initrode saves money on insurance premiums, which trickle down to us in the form of cheaper policies, AND we get gift cards for meeting program goals.
Honestly, I'm the most motivated by the gift cards. Okay, and the $250 credit I get on my monthly premiums next year for completing the incentive program.
Part of my health assessment (one gift card!) and subsequent health assessment review with a coach (one more gift card!) led me to realize that I need to take charge of my stress. See, I have anxiety - yep, officially diagnosed by a MHP and all that - so it's really best if I manage stress myself or else I have to get Happy Pills and I don't want those. The health coach told me that if I can complete a program for managing stress called - wait for it - My Stress Solution, I can get a THIRD gift card! Yahooeeeeeeey!
So a few weeks ago, I started this program. It's self-directed and really easy. Every week, I get an email reminder to go to the program's site (via a portal provided by Initrode) and read some articles about stress management and document current stressors and take a quiz or two to identify how I respond to stress, what causes me stress, etc. I'm about halfway through the program now and ironically, I'm stressed out. About my gift card.
I only have until the middle of next month to submit my completion of the program to qualify for that third and final gift card. If I don't make it, I don't get the card. That stresses me out. Normally, I'm all for some good ol' fashioned irony, but seriously. I haven't given up on My Stress Solution, but I'm not sure all the work I'm doing is going to negate the stress I feel when I think about missing out on that last gift card.

2 comments:
Just reading this post makes me feel like I might have an anxiety problem as well -- induced by you! But a gift card is a gift card and it's waaaay too much to lose.
BTW, I can't believe all the amazing perks you have at Corporate America. I think the only perk in NZ is that we get four weeks holiday a year (or in my case FIVE because I'm a super negotiator). I want a gym and insurance and day care (for the dogs) and free soda and gift cards. Is that too much to ask?
Is your neighbor's house listed online by any chance? Yogi wanted to scout it out. In my wildest dreams -- when we become neighbors -- we will pass cups of sugar over the fence, provide expert opinions on interior decorating and home cooking, and swap babysitting services (you take the dogs and I'll take the kid -- oh, and we'll swap magazines too ('cause that's what good neighbors do).
I just saw this comment, because I am a slacker. Lemme see if I can find that house's listing online, friend. I will email it to you if I do.
I also want to be neighbors, like Desperate Housewives, only without all the murder and scandal.
Post a Comment