March 12, 2009

Paging Dr. Bowie...okay, Dr. Stardust

There is a condition that makes you feel dizzy and lightheaded, stumble while you walk, and feel like the room is spinning all the live long day, and no, it's not alcoholism - it's labyrinthitis. Now, those of you who watch The Office probably think said disease is on par with such well-known 'fake' diseases as Count Choculitis or Spontaneous Dental Hydroplosion. But labyrinthitis is very real. I know because I have it.

I've been battling various head colds and upper respiratory tract infections for the last month. Fun fact: grief does a real number on your immune system. Every germ that is flying around in the air has settled into my cozy bloodstream and taken up residence, or so it seems. Because I hate going to the doctor (and I do mean HATE it) I didn't bother going, because I figured all I had were viral infections, and what can a doctor do about those?

Of course, Mother Nature got the last laugh, as she often does, and I ended up calling the husband from work today because I was too dizzy to drive myself to urgent care, about 2 miles away. He took me to the clinic and we actually managed to get into see a doctor - okay, PA, whatever - right away. NOTE: If you are dizzy/lightheaded at urgent care, they will see you ASAP. No questions asked...this is awesome.

Long story short, the various colds did a number on my sinuses, which then took it out on my inner ears, leading to the inflammation and fluid buildup in my ears' labyrinths (see where I'm going here?) which caused my imbalance problems. I am now the proud owner of three prescriptions to relieve my symptoms and clear up the infection in my ears, but according to the PA, it can take up to 10 days for my dizziness to completely go away.

No comments: