June 27, 2008

Draft Night, Blazers' Style

Last night Nick and I attended a private party hosted by VitaminWater and the coolest power forward in the league, LaMarcus Aldridge. :) We didn't get to meet the man THIS TIME (that's another story for another post), but we still had a great time. We got to Grand Central Bowl in SE Portland, which is really cool, and signed in at the guest table upstairs.

But most importantly: why were we at this party? I won a radio contest, that's why! Nick told me about the online contest for the party and I submitted mine with the photo I took with LaMarcus at the Blazers' season ticket holder event in February. And mine was one of the 95 entries chosen from the radio station.

So, anyway, back to the party. We get signed in and they hand each of us two free drink tickets (sweet!) and we walk into the party area. It's pretty nice, with little lounging areas set up, TVs on the walls and pool tables. In the middle is the bar, so we get our L-Train specialty cocktails (made with lots of booze and VitaminWater, natch) and grab some food and cozy up in front of one of the TVs just in time for ESPN's draft coverage to start.

When LaMarcus gets there, he's mobbed by kids and fans, so we didn't get up to meet him. BIG mistake! We never got a chance to talk to him, because he sat in his own VIP area with his friends. BOO. But later, our friends Pam, Ashley and Angela met up with us and we got to bowl downstairs two lanes away from The Man, and that was fun. I'm a horrible bowler, but still I ended up beating Nick in both our games (I got 2nd place both times)!

All in all, it was a fun night and a cool way to spend draft night. I even 'permanently borrowed' one of the cool VitaminWater LaMarcus cardboard posters for my office. :)